This sugar cookie recipe is very special to me, because it was my grandmother’s recipe. She clipped it out of a newspaper sometime in the 1940’s. It was re-written on a piece of paper, which I still have, stains and all!
Everyone needs a basic sugar cookie recipe! Growing up it was always a tradition to make these sugar cookies for Christmas with my mom. I have carried this tradition on with my kids now too! I can remember as a kid always eating these while frosting them. I couldn’t resist. My kids do the very same thing! Frost one, eat one, frost one, eat one! Lol! These sugar cookies are the best! Let’s be honest, we need to continue to pass along recipes from the past when we can. These cookies are made with love!
This recipe makes a lot of cookies! You could cut it in half, thirds or make the whole thing and freeze some fully baked cookies for later. Bake these right, and they are soft and oh so delicious! Depending on the size of the cookie they will need to bake at different times. The bite size cookies can really bake in 4-5 minutes and the larger cookies are done in about six minutes. I like them a little brown on the bottom, but not on the top. Underdone is better than overdone!
You are definitely going to need a stand mixer for this recipe. There is a lot of flour and you have to add it slowly while the dough is mixing.
Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups Shortening (I use Spectrum because it is soy free!)
- 3 Cups sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup milk
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 8 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F
- Blend shortening, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients
- Slowly add in the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until well incorporated
- Once it’s mixed, put in the refrigerator for 15+ minutes until chilled
- On a well floured counter roll out dough 1/8th of an inch thick
- Bake 5-7 minutes
- Let fully cool before frosting
These cookies are so good! I hope you enjoy them 🙂