I Love Beignets!!! Fried dough, with powdered sugar…how can you go wrong?!?! Beignets are great for breakfast, brunch, snack, dessert, or anytime really!! This beignet recipe is easy to make, and one you will want to keep!
When we go to Disney World these beignets are a must, among a few other treats that I cannot resist. You can only get the beignets at a few places, and Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter in Walt Disney World is where I had my first taste!!!
You may be wondering, where did you get that recipe?? There is a Disney Park’s Blog and they have been releasing favorite recipes! When I saw this one back in April, I knew I had to try them!!
I am in no way trying to take credit for this awesome recipe, I just want to share the wealth, as well as my own pictures of how awesome they turned out! We just happened to have a Mickey Mouse Cookie cutter (we have hundreds of cookie cutters), but you can use whatever shape!!
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Vegetable or Canola oil for frying
- Powdered sugar for topping!
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour and boiling water in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture. With the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the dough just until combined and smooth. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness and cut individual beignets with a Mickey Mouse-shaped cutter or cut into 2 1/2 to 3-inch squares. Cover with a towel and let dough rise until doubled in size in a warm, draft-free area, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Using caution, heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350°F in a deep, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Fry beignets until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes, turning as soon as they brown on one side. Remove with tongs and place on paper towels to drain. Dust warm beignets with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
I seriously can’t believe I had never made beignets before. They were easy to make and so delicious! These are going to be a must for special occasions! I will admit, it’s not the same as actually eating them at Disney World, but it will do until I can get back there again!!
Disney Park’s Blog
Be sure to check out the Disney Park’s Blog too! This is where I got this awesome recipe.
Follow me on Pinterest for more ideas!!