Sugar Cookies + Lemon = Absolute deliciousness! I am so excited about these! They have the right amount of lemon flavor and the perfect cookie texture!!
Typically, when I think of sugar cookies, it’s usually in a “cut out” shape and is for some sort of occasion; Christmas, Easter, Valentines Day or in many cases Birthdays. Cutouts are great, but can be a lot of work. Making them into a cookie bar takes out all of that extra work, but they are still delicious!!
I love that these Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars are so easy to make! Also, you can easily substitute different flavors, and top them with frosting! Lemon is surely a hit, but I’m thinking lime or orange would be great as well! I included a recipe for the glaze, but it’s definitely not needed, it just adds a little more lemon flavor!
Also, whenever we have lemons, my kids cannot resist eating them to to see who can handle the sourness!! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Don’t Be Afraid to “Zest”
This recipe calls for the zest of a lemon. If you haven’t used zest from a citrus fruit before, don’t let that scare you. It’s super easy and it really gives it a lot of flavor. I take a cheese grater and scrape the side of the lemon until you see the white part, keep rotating the lemon until there is nothing left to zest! Easy as that!
Here Is What You Need
For the Sugar Cookie
- 1 cup (2 Sticks) of Unsalted Butter – room temp
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar + 3 Tbsp for the top
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp juice from a lemon + (1-2 Tbsp for the glaze)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp lemon Zest (1 Lemon)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For The Glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp juice from a lemon
- 3-4 Tbsp Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F
- Grease a 9×13 dish with baking spray, or you can use my cake release recipe
- Using your stand mixer or an electric mixer, mix butter and sugar until well combined
- Mix in the eggs, vanilla and lemon juice
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients; Flour, baking powder, salt and the lemon zest
Slowly pour incorporate the flour mixture into the bowl with the wet ingredients
- Press the dough into the 9×13 baking dish
- Top with 3 tbsp of sugar
- Bake for 22-25 minutes
- For the glaze, mix together the powdered sugar, and lemon juice.
- Slowly mix in the milk until you get the consistency you desire. More milk for a thinner glaze, less for thicker
- Wait for the cookies to cool before drizzling the glaze over top. You can glaze the whole dish or individual pieces, whatever you like!
There you have it! Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars (Say that fast 3 times!) They are delicious and one of my absolute favorites!
Follow me on Pinterest for more great ideas! https://www.pinterest.com/FunandFrosted/