If you are familiar with my Easy Buttercream Frosting recipe, you’ll be sure to love this Chocolate Buttercream! It’s creamy and silky, but not too rich. In addition, it has a great chocolate flavor and has the right amount of sweetness. Perfect for any cake, cupcake or even cookie! Above all, it only takes about 10 minutes to make and is super easy.
Good For Piping
Easy Buttercream is great for piping on a cake. I decorate a lot of cakes that require a lot of detail and this doesn’t disappoint! It will harden overtime, so make sure you frost the cake completely in good timing.
Storing Your Buttercream
When you are not using the buttercream keep it in an air tight container so it doesn’t dry up. You can store this buttercream for up to a couple of weeks in the refrigerator. And as I noted in the recipe, make sure it comes to room temperature before using!
How to make Easy Chocolate Buttercream
In your stand mixer (I love my Kitchen Aid!) with the paddle attachment, add the softened butter
You are going to want to beat the butter on medium to high until fluffy and make sure it gets creamy. You don’t want chunks of butter in your frosting (or maybe you do?! Up to you.)
Add in the cocoa, vanilla and salt.
Add in one tablespoon of cream and then gradually add the powdered sugar then mix a bit and alternate adding in cream. Keep doing this until you have used all of the sugar and cream.
Continue beating the buttercream for 2-3 minutes on medium
Turn to high speed once sugar is fully incorporated – You will know!
If the frosting is too stiff add in more cream
If you want a stronger chocolate taste, add more cocoa, but be sure to add more cream too!
Spread on your dessert, or fill up a piping bag to pipe on to your dessert!
Easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Store In the Refrigerator
Can be stored for 2 weeks
Make sure Buttercream is at room temp before spreading on cakes
- 2 cups softened butter (salted or unsalted, depending on your preference)
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 7 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk or heavy whipping cream
- In your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add the softened butter
- Beat butter on medium to high until fluffy
- Add vanilla and salt
- Add in cocoa
- Gradually add powdered sugar and alternate adding in cream
- Continue beating for 2-3 minutes on medium
- Turn to high speed once sugar is incorporated
- If you want to add in food coloring, add in while it is beating.
- If frosting is too stiff add in more milk or cream 1 tsp at a time and beat until combined.
- Spread on Cake and/or put in piping bags
If you like this Easy Chocolate Buttercream Recipe, be sure to check out my Easy Buttercream recipe.
Follow my blog to be the first to know when I post a new recipe! I invite you to comment and let me know what you think!