A good buttercream can be the key to an unforgettable cake. You want the perfect consistency to go along with the perfect taste. This recipe for Easy Buttercream is just that…Easy! It has a great creamy texture and is not too sweet. This is your basic buttercream that is great for just about anything from cakes, to cookies and everything in between. It would be divine on a donut – just sayin’.
Good For Piping
Easy Buttercream is great for piping on a cake. I decorate a lot of cakes that require a lot of detail and this doesn’t disappoint! It will harden overtime, so make sure you frost the cake completely in good timing.
Storing Your Buttercream
When you are not using the buttercream keep it in an air tight container so it doesn’t dry up. You can store this buttercream for up to a couple of weeks in the refrigerator. And as I noted in the recipe, make sure it comes to room temperature before using!
How To Make Easy Buttercream
In your stand mixer (I love my Kitchen Aid!) with the paddle attachment, add the softened butter
You are going to want to beat the butter on medium to high until fluffy and make sure it gets creamy. You don’t want chunks of butter in your frosting (or maybe you do?! Up to you.)
Add in the vanilla and salt. Here you can add different extracts for other flavors!!!
Gradually add the powdered sugar then mix a bit and alternate adding in cream. Keep doing this until you have used all of the sugar and cream.
Continue beating the buttercream for 2-3 minutes on medium
Turn to high speed once sugar is fully incorporated – You will know!
If you want to add in food coloring, now is the time!!
If the frosting is too stiff add in more milk or cream 1 tsp at a time and beat until combined.
Spread on Cake and/or put in piping bags
Store In the Refrigerator
Can be stored for 2 weeks
Make sure Buttercream is at room temp before spreading on cakes
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 6 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3-5 tablespoons milk or heavy whipping cream
- In your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add the softened butter
- Beat butter on medium to high until fluffy
- Add vanilla and salt
- Gradually add powdered sugar and alternate adding in cream
- Continue beating for 2-3 minutes on medium
- Turn to high speed once sugar is incorporated
- If you want to add in food coloring, add in while it is beating.
- If frosting is too stiff add in more milk or cream 1 tsp at a time and beat until combined.
- Spread on Cake and/or put in piping bags
I hope you enjoy this Easy Buttercream! I know I love it and so does everyone I have made it for 🙂
Check Out This Cake I Used This Buttercream on!
Make sure to follow my blog and Fun and Frosted on Pinterest for more inspiration and tips!
One thought on “Easy Buttercream”
This was a simple recipe, easy to follow and came out perfect!